We’ve got sad news from Utah. The Sunset Drive-In in Vernal is closed indefinitely after a major fire Friday night. According to the Deseret News story, Uintah Fire District Chief Jeremy Raymond said it started with a grease fire from the Sunset’s deep-fat fryers. Raymond called the combination box office and concession building “a total loss.”
The Vernal Express fire story, which said it was still under investigation, said that the projection booth and drive-in screen both survived the fire. What neither article addressed is a deeper question: When will the Sunset rebuild and reopen? Or was this the final chapter for this over 60-year-old landmark?
There are a few more details, and you really should read both stories to see the full range of morning-after photos. Let’s hope that the Vernal community rallies around the Sunset and brings it back better than ever.